Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity: The “Triune God” manifested as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; each Person being God. Two symbols from the New Testament canon are associated with the Holy Spirit in Christian iconography: a winged dove, and tongues of fire. Each depiction of the Holy Spirit arose from different accounts in the Gospel narratives; the first being at the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River where the Holy Spirit was said to descend in the form of a dove as the voice of God the Father spoke as described in Matthew, Mark, and Luke; the second being from the day of Pentecost, fifty days after Easter where the descent of the Holy Spirit came upon the Apostles and other followers of Jesus Christ, as tongues of fire as described in the Acts of the Apostles, as promised by Jesus in His farewell discourse. The Holy Spirit is the One who empowers the followers of Jesus with spiritual gifts and power that enables the proclamation of Jesus Christ, and the power that brings conviction of faith.
What is the Role of the Holy Spirit in our life? Or why do we need The Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit helps us to understand what we read and later in many situations will teach us and give us light in facing those situations.
- Holy Spirit Helper / Comforter (John 14:26) – We receive unlimited help and guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit comforts us during the high and low tide of our life. By Obeying the Spirit, we can live the faithful life that you have longed for. We can have communion with God and always be in tune with His Voice.
- Holy Spirit Sanctification – the important function of the Holy Spirit is to make us Holy. Holy Spirit gives us strength and help in our fight against sin (Acts 1:5-8). In our human nature, there are forces that are much stronger than ourselves. But St Paul says in the letter to Galatians 5:16-25, the Holy Spirit will strengthen us, so that every time we are tempted, we do not yield to the lusts of the flesh.
- Holy Spirit Gift Giver (Spiritual Gifts: 1 Corinthians 12:11) – There are different kinds of gifts but the same Spirit distributes them. (Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety and Fear of the Lord). We have received these gifts during our confirmation. With these gifts we can play our role in the Body of Christ. Remember that no amount of Human knowledge can ever replace the spirits teaching (1Corinthians 2:12-13).
- Holy Spirit helps us to know more about Jesus(John 16:12-14)- the Scripture and the traditions of the Church reveals to us about Jesus, but it is the Holy Spirit who helps us to understand and believe in Jesus Christ and be an effective witness of Jesus Christ (Acts 1:8)
- Holy Spirit directs our steps to receive the abundant life that Jesus Promised (Romans 8:9-11) – Jesus gives us life and life in abundance (Jn 10:10). The Holy Spirit directs us to receive this life. Our every step of life is being directed so that we may step the way that leads to eternal life, a life in Christ and with Christ.
- Holy Spirit empowers us to Proclaim and stay strong in faith (Acts 4:5-12) – The apostles of Jesus were in the upper room with fear. When the Holy Spirit came upon them, they were empowered and strengthened. Later they began to proclaim the Good News and so also became strong pillars of faith. We have a mission through our baptism that is to proclaim Jesus and to grow in our faith.
Satan wants to destroy our faith and tries to get us to doubt our Savior’s love. But the Holy Spirit is leading, teaching, gifting and proclaiming as a proof that you belong to God forever. Don’t let anyone bewitch or charm you. The Holy Spirit is of vital importance in our life. It is through Him that the Character of Christ is revealed in us.